Junior Associate Programme
Our Junior Associate programme is for girls and boys aged 8 to 10 who wish to take class with The Royal Ballet School, alongside their regular ballet classes.
Classes run from September to July at nine centres around the UK, in London, Birmingham, Bath, Dundee, Eastleigh (Southampton), Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle and Totnes. All classes are held on Saturdays with the exception of our Dundee and Bath classes, which run on Sundays.
- An introduction to The Royal Ballet School System of Training
- Enhanced ballet training with the view to a full-time vocational education
- Dance with students of a similar age who share the same passion and drive for a career in dance
- The creation of life long friendships
- Body Conditioning
- Barre work
- Centre work including preparation for pirouettes
- Port de bras
The School aims to invite all Associate students to attend one pre-general rehearsal at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden during the year
In addition, we invite students to attend a workshop held at the Upper School to enhance their training
- Occasionally, Associates are asked to take part in productions by The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and visiting companies
Become a Junior Associate
- All students aged 8-10 by 31 August 2022 – may apply in 2022 while in current school years 3, 4 and 5
- No specific experience – we recommend speaking to your child’s dance teacher if you are unsure
- Ability to travel to your nearest Associate centre each day that classes are run during the academic year
How to apply
Applications for our Junior Associate programme open in February each year and close in March. Auditions are held in the Summer Term and are for courses which start in September.
All applications received by the closing dates will be offered an audition class. Our auditions are held at our centres in Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham, Dundee, Leeds, Eastleigh, Bath, Totnes and London.
Please visit our Auditions page to find out how to apply to the Programme.
Experience an Associate lesson in person or online
Each year we welcome young dancers, in studying in year 3 to 10 at academic school, to attend our Junior, Mid and Senior Associate Insight Days.
Our Junior Associate Insight Days take place at our centres across the UK or online. Our Mid and Senior Associate Insight Days are held online only, so you can experience Royal Ballet School training from the comfort of your own home.