‘A school is the bedrock of any company, nurturing as it does the dancers and choreographers of the future.’
– Dame Ninette de Valois, Founder of The Royal Ballet School and Companies
The Royal Ballet School is one of the world’s most celebrated centres for classical ballet training. Since its founding in 1926, the School has contributed immeasurably to our rich dance heritage, producing dancers and choreographers of international renown for generations.
Former students include greats such as Margot Fonteyn, Anya Linden, Kenneth MacMillan, Lynn Seymour, David Wall, Antoinette Sibley, Anthony Dowell, Marguerite Porter, Stephen Jefferies, Darcey Bussell and Jonathan Cope.
And now, there’s a new generation making its mark on the world stage – Lauren Cuthbertson, Francesca Hayward, Steven McRae, Vadim Muntagirov, Marianela Nuñez, Edward Watson and Christopher Wheeldon, to name a few.
Admission to the School is based purely on talent and potential, regardless of academic ability or personal circumstances, and 84% of current students rely on financial support to attend. The School offers an eight-year carefully structured dance course alongside an extensive academic, pastoral and healthcare programme, ensuring students are fully-equipped to flourish in their future careers, both within and beyond the world of classical ballet.
Alongside this, the extensive Training and Access programme continually works to broaden access to the School’s unique expertise and experience, with dedicated programmes for primary school pupils, dance teachers and the general public.
Our mission is to nurture, train and educate exceptional young dancers for The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and other leading UK and international companies, and to inspire the future of classical ballet training.
Our vision is to be the best classical ballet school in the world.
- Student focused: Students are at the heart of everything we do at the School and their training and welfare are the basis of all decisions
- Innovative and pioneering: We are a bold, forward-thinking organisation and bring this approach to all areas of our work with the utmost integrity
- Promoting excellence: We maintain the highest standards of excellence in classical ballet training
- Training versatile dancers: Our highly skilled dancers are able to adapt to a broad range of styles
- Respectful of our heritage: We ensure the rich heritage of the School is at the heart of our training
- Faithful to our core mission: To provide The Royal Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet with top calibre dancers. We take a fully collaborative and inclusive approach with both companies
- One team: We support each other, creating a warm, nurturing environment for students to maximise their potential
- Committed to academic education: We give students the best possible education and in so doing open up their opportunities beyond ballet
- Nurturing of our students: We are respectful of our dancers as aspiring artists and as individual, intelligent human-beings
- Pioneering in healthcare: We are at the forefront of physical and mental health provision for pre-professional dancers working to create stronger, happier and more resilient dancers
- Broadening access: Sharing our expertise in classical ballet training, engaging with the wider community through our Training and Access programme