‘A school is the bedrock of any company, nurturing as it does the dancers and choreographers of the future.’
– Dame Ninette de Valois, Founder of The Royal Ballet School and Companies
The Royal Ballet School is one of the world’s greatest centres of classical ballet training, which for generations has produced dancers and choreographers of international renown including Margot Fonteyn, Anya Linden, Kenneth MacMillan, Lynn Seymour, David Wall, Antoinette Sibley, Anthony Dowell, Marguerite Porter, Stephen Jefferies, Darcey Bussell and Jonathan Cope.
And now there’s a new generation making its mark on the world stage, all of whom trained at The Royal Ballet School – Lauren Cuthbertson, Steven McRae, Edward Watson, Christopher Wheeldon and Liam Scarlett to name a few.
Admission to the school is based purely on talent and potential, regardless of academic ability or personal circumstances and 89% of current students rely on financial support to attend the school.
The school offers an eight-year carefully structured dance course, aligned with an extensive academic programme, giving the students the best possible education to equip them for a career in the world of dance.
Our mission is to nurture, train and educate exceptional young dancers for the Royal Ballet companies and other leading UK and international companies and to inspire the future of classical ballet training.
Our vision is to be the best classical ballet school in the world.
- Student focused: Students are at the heart of everything we do at the School and their training and welfare are the basis of all decisions
- Innovative and pioneering: We are a bold, forward-thinking organisation and bring this approach to all areas of our work with the utmost integrity
- Promoting excellence: We maintain the highest standards of excellence in classical ballet training
- Training versatile dancers: Our highly skilled dancers are able to adapt to a broad range of styles
- Respectful of our heritage: We ensure the rich heritage of the School is at the heart of our training
- Faithful to our core mission: To provide the two Royal Ballet companies with top calibre dancers We take a fully collaborative and inclusive approach with both companies
- One team: We support each other, creating a warm, nurturing environment for students to maximise their potential
- Committed to academic education: We give students the best possible education and in so doing open up their opportunities beyond ballet
- Nurturing of our students: We are respectful of our dancers as aspiring artists and as individual, intelligent human-beings
- Broadening access: Sharing our expertise in classical ballet training, engaging with the wider community through our Outreach & Access programme