Diploma of Dance Teaching

Dance Teacher Training students in class

The Royal Ballet School will be taking a new cohort of Training Teachers onto our Diploma of Dance Teaching programme in September 2022.

Dates

September 2022 – June 2024

Apply

Application opens: 8 December 2021

Application close date: 21 January 2022, 09:00

Application fee: £65

1st stage: application review results will be sent out week commencing 24 January 2022

2nd stage: teaching video submission date deadline – 4 March 2022, 09.00

3rd stage: interview with course leaders week commencing 21 March 2022

Location

The Royal Ballet School, 46 Floral Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2E 9DA

Course fees

Full fees: £8,200 (£4,100 per year over two years)

Course structure

The Royal Ballet School’s Diploma of Dance Teaching is a two-year part-time course which provides a sound foundation in both technical and creative approaches to teaching ballet.

The course includes opportunities to specialise in teaching in vocational and pre-vocational settings and students will be awarded The Royal Ballet School’s Diploma of Dance Teaching.

The Diploma is suitable for current and ex-professional dancers and teachers and will provide a foundation in teaching ballet to a broad range of students.

The course covers:

Classical ballet technique
The healthy dancer
Education practice
Reflective practice
Psychology and child development
Work place context
Teacher practice

The course is delivered by Royal Ballet School staff and visiting expert lecturers at the School’s state-of-the-art studios in Covent Garden, London and White Lodge, Richmond. Course materials are at the forefront of teaching education.

Course delivery

Classes are held one day per week, usually on a Friday during term time at Covent Garden, although some aspects of the course are delivered at White Lodge. During Year 1, participants are also required to attend additional workshops, observations and teaching practice placements on a limited number of weekends and weekdays throughout the year. In Year 2, additional teaching practice placements will take place at The Royal Ballet School, as well as other schools and training institutions on days outside of normal lessons. Course content is delivered through a combination of practical lessons, workshops and lectures. Approximately 60% of the course is practical and the other 40% is written work. In order to complete the written components of the course, participants are expected to have a suitable level of English language comprehension and literacy. If English is not your first language, you will need written and spoken English skills at the British Council IELTS level of Band 6 (General English Test) or above.

Any questions?

To find out whether the course is right for you, please read our course prospectus.

If you have any other questions, please email TeacherTraining@royalballetschool.org.uk.

Shopping basket