The Creative Artist Programme
The School is committed to nurturing the whole student, not just the dancer. Our Creative Artist Programme broadens our students’ horizons, generates new ideas and encourages creative risk-taking.
With a broad cultural education, we help our students become versatile, creative artists, able to express themselves on stage, with the tools to develop their careers and open up opportunities within and beyond ballet.
The programme comprises:
- Stagecraft lessons/workshops: teaching students how to develop a role and express themselves clearly on stage
- Guest teachers: students benefit immeasurably from being exposed to different teaching and performance styles. We work with some of the finest teachers and coaches in the world, eager to share their expertise and perspectives with our students
- Alumni: speaking about their careers, sharing the highs and lows of a dancer’s life or how they transitioned to an alternative path outside the dance world
- Guest speakers: a series of talks/workshops by inspirational speakers from a range of creative, cultural or commercial industries who have achieved excellence in their field.
Previous guest speakers:
- Olympic gold medallist sailor Sir Ben Ainslie
- British sculptor Sir Antony Gormley OBE
- Actor Sir Derek Jacobi CBE
- Theatre and film director Stephen Daldry CBE
- Choreographer and founder of dance company New Adventures Sir Matthew Bourne OBE
- Creative director and force behind the 2012 Olympic Closing Ceremony Kim Gavin
- Former dancer and now filmmaker Lynne Wake
- Alumna, ballerina and author Leanne Benjamin
- Alumnus and Principal of Scottish Ballet Jerome Anthony Barnes
- Alumnus and former English National Ballet artist Shevelle Dynott
- Former Director of The Royal Ballet Dame Monica Mason
- Royal Ballet School and Company alum Wayne Sleep OBE.